Tuesday 30 November 2010

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Only a minimal dusting of snow today.  I am annoyed (for I do enjoy snow-based frolics).  I thought one always got rewarded for being a good boy.  Instead I find only torment - not only from the weather outside; but also from the weather within.

The weekend was most agreeable, for the majority.  Something of a small lie-in on the Sunday (neither of us slept well on Saturday night.  The cold kept my partner alert, whilst I was deprived of slumber by the lively activities of my over-wrought bladder), followed by a gentle morning and most acceptable breakfast.  A delicious roast-chicken dinner, followed by a pleasant walk (blighted only when I failed to heed my partner's advice and took a swim in the icy river.  Hmmm.  I won't be doing that again in a hurry...  My "Little Jasper" has yet to forgive me.) and then a little shopping (£4.50 for a garden broom - can't argue wit' dem apples!).

On arrival back at Chateau Jaspère early in the afternoon, I assisted my partner in a little light gardening.  We used our new broom and other devices to tidy the garden; replanted into a border the impressive Antirrhinum which sprang up in the centre of my estate; and planted ALL of our spring-flowering bulbs (which I dutifully promised not to unearth during any potential future fit of pique).  I may, however, have no option but to reconsider this last statement.  I have been grossly humiliated.  Grossly.

My partner changed our bedding last evening.  A new bedroom set was given to my partner and I as a joint birthday gift from the normally-reliable Dolores (partner's human best friend).  As the last bedroom set was prepared for the washing-machine, this new set was unsheathed from its shiny wrapping as I watched with interest.

Interest rapidly turned to disgust as I saw the abomination being applied to my large, luxurious, berth.

"I am NOT sleeping in that!" I barked, angrily.
"What's wrong with it?!" queried my partner.  "I love it - I think it's gorgeous."
"It's PINK!" I spluttered.
"The bed sheet is." replied my partner, frowning at me, as she unwrapped the duvet-cover and pillow-cast set.  With a mounting sense of humiliation, I found it difficult to wrest my gaze from the roses and general floral design of the duvet-cover.  I felt positively nauseous.
"I REFUSE to sleep in that!" I snarled.
"Jasper - no-one will know unless you tell them.  Your friends can't see you when you are asleep!"
"If the curtains were open they could see THAT bed-sheet on Mars."  I grumbled.
"Fine, then.  Fine." declared my partner crossly.  "Be like that.  You can sleep on the floor if you feel that strongly about it.  Personally, I think it's gorgeous and very pretty.  No-one's saying you have to sleep in the bed.  You're quite welcome to the floor."
"Right, then.  I shall sleep on the floor if you're going to take that tone."
"Right."
"Fine then."
"Yes.  Fine."

When my partner got into her nice clean bed set, I lay defiantly on the floor beside the bed, glaring at her and wishing all manner of nightmares upon her sleeping subconscious.  My stare burned into her, so she turned her back on me and faced the wall, wrapped in her new-covered duvet.

I lasted about six minutes.  It may have been as many as seven, but certainly no more, when I felt the draught - so welcome during the summer yet chillingly icy in winter.  It seemed to get right into my bones.  There was only one solution (much though it grieved me to admit it).

Grrrowl...

Good night.

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Jasper,

Early in my married life, I brought home a new sheet/pillow case set because I found it at a GREAT price. It was pink and white stripes with a RUFFLE along the upper edge of the top sheet! My hubby slept in there - - - with the big ruffle ruffling under his chin.

I used to grin to see it.

Not sure if it stressed his masculinity or not.

Also - - - we only have a dusting of the nice winter ground cover here too.

Lance said...

Well, Jasper,

First things first. You beat us to the snow this year! Here in (this part of) the Colonies we've only seen a few scattered flurries (so far). Nothing has stuck... yet.

BUT, the (artificial) Christmas Tree is UP!! WOO HOO!! It's BEAUTIFUL. Sigh...

Now, about those sheets. What on earth is your problem with them? You, and your Ruth are the ONLY two who ever see the inside of them (well, at least for now). What are you expecting? Perhaps maybe something in Army Fatigue Green with little pictures of soldiers on them? You silly boy!

Love & hugs all around...

XXOO, Lance

MBNAD woman said...

Smashing duvet cover - you just need to get in touch with your inner pink, Jasper!
Spottie the [Blind] Git sleeps on the floor on an old duvet encased in cast offs from Madette and Junior Mad's childhoods. Postman Pat at the moment ... I think that he'd been a "shed dog" in Ireland so all this is a great luxury for him and anyway, what the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve over.

Angie said...

That bed set looks fine to me. Cosy and warm. Snuggly. Cuddly-wuddly. I mean, really, you don't know when you're well off you don't. Anyway, pink is SO your colour.....!